By clicking on the icons on the map, additional information is displayed.
Budgets and Expenditure in Subregion South-West Asia
People of Concern - 2020 [projected][["Refugees",2435070],["Asylum-seekers",9183],["IDPs",2000000],["Returned IDPs",250000],["Returned refugees",200000],["Others of concern",134516]]
not configured yet
Working environment and response in 2020The large-scale displacement of Afghans is now entering its fifth decade, with some 4 million Afghan refugees hosted by Pakistan and close to 1 million by the Islamic Republic of Iran. Both countries also host large numbers of undocumented Afghans, some of whom may also need international protection.
The Solutions Strategy for Afghan Refugees (SSAR) remains the key framework between the three countries and UNHCR, enabling consensus building and strengthening partnership.
The sub-regional and internal political and security dynamics will continue to shape UNHCR’s complex operational environment in South-West Asia. UNHCR’s ability to facilitate voluntary repatriation and sustainable reintegration in Afghanistan, and to preserve and enhance protection space in Pakistan, will largely depend on the evolving situation in Afghanistan, including the outcomes of the 2019 presidential elections, the peace talks with Taliban, potential drawdown of the US and NATO forces, and the intra-Afghan dialogue and reconciliation process.
These complex transitions and the limitations of the Government of Afghanistan to fulfil its commitments to sustainable reintegration of returnees in a highly volatile security environment, may affect the decision of refugees to return and impact the population movements.
While contingency measures are valid for up to 100,000 refugee returns to Afghanistan, the planning assumption for 2020 is based on a return of 60,000 Afghan refugees from both the Islamic Republic of Iran and Pakistan.
Iran may witness further economic decline, under the current international climate, leading to increased needs within large segments of the Iranian society, including large numbers of refugees and other people of concern to UNHCR.
In Afghanistan, in addition to the voluntary repatriation cash grant of USD 200 per refugee returning, UNHCR is developing short to medium-term community-based projects in some 15 priority areas of return and reintegration (PARR). These PARRs have been designated in line with the Government’s priorities and are linked to longer-term development programmes, as committed under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
Iran, which jointly with Pakistan, hosts one of the largest and most protracted refugee populations in the world, gave asylum to 951,142 Afghan refugees and 28,268 Iraqi refugees, in addition to about 400 Kurd and Rohingya households. 97% of the refugees in Iran live in urban and rural areas while the remaining 3% reside in 21 settlements managed by BAFIA. In 2020 UNHCR aims to support the Government to continue to provide more sustainable access to quality national services in particular health and education, greater opportunities for self-reliance including through financial and economic inclusion, enhanced access to social safety nets for vulnerable refugees and enhanced harm prevention and response mechanism, while seeking durable solutions. Socio-political situation in the region is volatile, coupled by economic decline, therefore, may have an impact for implementation of objectives.
The Government of Pakistan took a very positive step in allowing refugees to open their bank accounts, which will greatly facilitate their temporary stay and business, pending their return. The Prime Minister’s participation as a co-convener at the Global Refugee Forum will be an important occasion to show case good practices – notably with the Refugees Affected and Hosting Areas (RAHA) initiative, now in its tenth year, with 4,200 RAHA projects having reached 12 million people for an investment of approximately USD 220 million.
2020 Budget for South-West Asia | USD
|Islamic Republic of Iran||98,662,025||0||0||0||98,662,025|
2020 Voluntary Contributions to South-West Asia | USD
|Earmarking / Donor||Pillar 1
|South-West Asia overall|
|United States of America||0||0||0||3,900,000||3,900,000|
|South-West Asia overall subtotal||0||0||0||3,900,000||3,900,000|
|Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF)||0||0||94,222||5,778||100,000|
|Republic of Korea||0||0||0||100,000||100,000|
|United States of America||500,000||0||0||4,600,000||5,100,000|
|Islamic Republic of Iran|
|Republic of Korea||2,000,000||0||0||0||2,000,000|
|Islamic Republic of Iran subtotal||11,008,542||0||0||0||11,008,542|
|Private donors in the Republic of Korea||1,145||0||0||0||1,145|
|Private donors in the United Arab Emirates||200,000||0||0||0||200,000|
|United States of America||94,909||0||0||4,000,000||4,094,909|